Vanbrugh Castle School

Photographs from 1929 & 1934


[Use the back button on your browser to return or click heading to go to Home Page]



A Group of Boys (aged about 7yrs) in 1929



Top row : L.Pascoe, R.Carlinge, R.Guthrie, D.Rose
Middle row : W.Johnstone, J.Kerr, D.Sampson, L.Rose
Bottom row : G.Williams, S.Willis, K.Hammond



The pioneering aviator Bleriot visited the school in 1934



Staff and pupils with Louis Bleriot - 1934
Bleriot, a great friend of Alexander Duckham, is in the second row (holding hat & stick) sitting next to Madame Bleriot. On his right is Alexander Duckham, with his wife, who gave the castle to the Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund.
Captain Slimming (the Controller of the school) is 5th from the left in that row sitting next to his wife. There seems to be 44 pupils and staff at this time.


Three old boys re-visit the school in c.1955 after 25 years



Three old boys, Dennis Sampson, Geoffrey Williams and Peter Foreman (see the top photograph), re-visit the school after 25 years.
Undated photograph, but they appear to be standing on the stump of the oak tree at the castle entrance, so it was about 1955.
Dennis served in the RAF 2758 Squadron as a gunner /signaller. He is still fit and well, aged about 95yrs. (in 2017)



These photographs were published in a book by Dennis Sampson in 1993 called "The Blue and Khaki Hunters". It had a limited print run of 500 copies.