James William Webb-Jones (nicknamed Bub Jones by us) was the headmaster from January 1951 to June 1955. He is standing in front of the portrait of Sir John Vanbrugh which hung in his office.
He organised schooling at Vanbrugh castle for the younger boys up to the 11+ exam.
He had a kindly wife, Barbara, who later on helped to produce plays like Toad of Toad Hall and Pirates of Penzance.
Their only offspring, Bridget,was a lithesome teenager. They also had a fat dog called Pog.
Two of the first teachers were D R Jones (a Welshman, nicknamed Jonah Jinks, who was an all round capable and nice chap) and Peter Lyons who later married Bridget.
Both JWWJ and Lyons left VCS to go to Wells Cathedral School in 1955.