Vanbrugh Castle School
The Wakefield Wing History
[Use the back button on your browser to return]
History of the Wakefield Wing
Spring 1867 :
Built for Nathaniel John Fenner (1824-1888) and Lousia Fenner. The house was designed by the architect James Henry Rowling. Fenner was a lamp oil merchant with a substantial business. He laid a foundation stone at the rear of the house bearing the names of his first two children, Nellie Edith b. 1863 and Nathaniel Henry b. 1865. Fenner had two further children, Herbert Ernest b.1868 and Lousia Mary b.1870. The house cost £2000 to build, helped by a £1500 mortgage. There was a two-stall stable and carriage house (which survives) and a room large enough to play billiards. The Fenner family resided at The Cedars until Nathaniel’s death in November 1888, which happened when he was on a steamer trip on the Black Sea. Lousia Fenner lived at The Cedars for a few months more.
July 1889 :
The Cedars was sold.
March 1891 :
The title was assigned to Henry Jones (1850-1926). Henry Jones was a jeweller of Long Acre. The Jones Family was followed by that of the James KingStewart, who lived at The Cedars until Lord Wakefield purchased it.
Purchased by Lord Wakefield (1859-1941) for £3000 on behalf of the RAF Benevolent Fund.
May 1939 :
The house was officially opened as extra accommodation for boys at Vanbrugh Castle School and given the name The Wakefield Wing.
The house next door to the Wakefield Wing was purchased by the RAF Benevolent Fund and given the name Knollys' Wing after Lord Knollys who was the RAF Benevolent Fund Chairman. This building was used as staff quarters and a sickbay.
When Vanbrugh Castle School closed and relocated to Ewhurst, Surrey, The Wakefield Wing and Knolly’s Wing were purchased by the Blackheath Preservation Trust in March 1977. The Wakefield Wing was converted into four flats. Knolly’s Wing was sold off by the Blackheath Preservation Trust and it returned to a single family dwelling.
The former Wakefield Wing is now a single dwelling.